Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ah biliv em

In preparation for our entry into Sierra Leone we've been having classes and discussions on everything from local culture to history to language.  While I am really enjoying the Krio language lessons with the Sierra Leone crew members, one of my favorite parts of these mornings is the West African-style worship.

They are practical songs, uncomplicated delight in trust.  I will try and post another few with lyrics as I get spellings/meanings/Krio words down.  One of the simpler ones from this morning goes

I go do am                                                 (He will do it)
Yes, I go do am                                         (Yes, He will do it)
God don tak am                                         (God has said it)
Ah biliv em                                                (I will believe/trust in Him)

Just like that.  God has said it, and I believe Him.  No demands for tangible blessings, further confirmation, or a need for instant vending-machine style gratification.

So as we get closer to the wire and I wonder if we will be set up in time, pray for strength in taking on new job responsibilities and challenges, ask for guidance for the days ahead and wonder at how God would choose to use me in all of my flawed frailty, I will claim His promises and say:
God don tak am, Ah biliv em!

No comments:

Post a Comment