Tuesday, May 17, 2011

change

The wind bites through my jacket in sharp reminder that I am back in a place I once called home.  It's a cold and rainy spring in New York, and my golden tan staring back at me in the mirror marks me an outsider.  Everything is different, down to the freedom to steam up the mirror in a hot shower, the taste of milk on my cereal, the spacious room with windows that I wake up to alone, the skin color and language of my patients. 

God, family, friends...these are the only constants in my life.  And I am so thankful for them!  God has been consistently good, no matter what continent I find myself on.  Long, cramped car rides and wedding celebrations are our family reunion, and we are having such fun with the time that we do have.  I know that with these people who have known me so well I can call myself home regardless of what continent I'm on.

We've gone our separate ways for now, and I've headed north to the Adirondacks.

It is good to sit and just relax in front of a wood fire, enjoy the pristine lake ringed with green, and see old friends again.  I've temporarily traded in my ship crew for another 400+ people who love Jesus, who worship with heart and soul, and who need someone on-call for emergencies (that's me!).  I breathe the moment in deeply - enjoying the fellowship I have now and also looking ahead to the expectation of a return to West Africa in the near future.  I am so blessed by the promise of family and life found in following Jesus with abandon, and I have found it amazingly true in my own path.

I'm no longer sure which is the dream and which is the reality now...but both are exciting, wildly interesting and fulfilling, and both are oh so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment