Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gud Nyus


Have you ever noticed that when you look at things from a different perspective you can learn something new?  That in learning a language, the hidden secrets of people and culture are suddenly more accessible and more visible?

I’ve been learning Krio…and more now than just the songs and greetings and basic medical evaluation.  About a week before I left Sierra Leone I obtained a Krio New Testament.  I was holding it in my hand, about to leave work, when one of our translators asked me skeptically if I “can read that.”  I sounded out the cover…Gud Nyus fɔ ɔlman.

Good news for all men

It’s a fitting title, and one that very much reflects the content in its entirety.  After a surprised nod and approving “fine job, Laura Koroma” from the translator, I realized that this might be a great way to get to know more Krio, and a wide open window to so much more.

Since then, the Gud Nyus has been a part of my daily quiet time.  I started out with the Lord’s Prayer, and I’ve enjoyed the refreshing perspective and blatant honesty.  It's an insightful puzzle just waiting to be cracked!

Mek a tɛl una aw una fɔ pre, una fɔ se:
‘Papa Gɔd we de na ɛvin:
Na yu wan gren na Gɔd, mek ɔlman pre to yu ɛn ɔna yu;
Wi de pre mek yu rul wi; mek wetin yu want, bi na dis wɔl, lɛkɛ aw I de bi na ɛvin.
Gi wi wetin wi fɔ it tide.
Padin wi  fɔ di bad tin dɛn we wi dɔn do, lɛkɛ  aw wisɛf de padin dɛn pipul we de do wi bad.
Mek we nɔ lɛf fɔ biliv pan yu ɛnitɛm we Setan tray wi; nɔ mek Setan ebul wi.
Na yu de rul di wɔl, na yu gɛt pawa, ɛn na yu gɛt prez ɛn ɔna, fɔ ɛva ɛn ɛva. Emɛn.”
Matyu 6: 9-13   

I’ll admit though, sometimes I miss that challenge of simplicity in my everyday life.  Sometimes I almost give in to the overwhelming urge to ask my next patient, “You feel bad?  You got pain?” or to reduce a lengthy discussion of upcoming activities to “We de go na waka waka yonda.”  And at some incredible times I find myself bursting out in song that’s clearly unintelligible to most Americans.  The language of my soul is no longer just a simple swirl of Bahasa and Sunda and English - it's well seasoned now with bits and pieces of Krio and Mende and Ewe and French and Zulu, with ever-expanding space for more :-)

I’d like to leave you with a thought from my quiet time yesterday; a clear challenge on priorities in the Christian life, and word for word the prayer of my heart:

Mek Gɔd de insay una gud gud, so dat ples nɔ lɛf fɔ ɔda tin…(Lɛta Fɔ ɛfisɔs 3:19b)

No comments:

Post a Comment