Sunday, March 11, 2012

old friends and new


One of my prayers on returning to Togo was that I'd be able to connect with some of my old patients.    Their small voices and shy smiles still echo in my heart, wisps of mist from a wonderful and challenging time here two years ago.  There is a running repetitive prayer list in my heart of the ones that went home healed and the families of the ones we lost...Abe and Komla and AimeeMariam and Brian and Mark and Ana and so many others, babies and mamas and papas of all sizes and problems...all beautiful.

Two weeks ago a few of those prayers blossomed into reality.  The physiotherapy team, following up on some of our orthopedic patients from two years ago, thoughtfully agreed to page me if any of the patients on my list turned up.

And so I got my first page Wednesday morning, to go down and meet Komla (now 6 years old).  He proudly showed off his strong, straight legs and informed me that he enjoys playing football (soccer).  His little brother, a two-year old mirror image of Komla, interestedly watched the reunion from his place on mama's back.  Sadly, because of timing we weren't able to take pictures together with Komla, but I'm hoping to maybe see them again before we ship out.

Abe's surgery was much more extensive, and he also lives quite a bit farther away.  After a physiotherapy follow-up, he stayed for a day or two at the Hope center before heading back home with dad.  So I headed down to the Hope center with two friends, looking to visit with Abe and his dad before they left.  We all played football (soccer) together - Abe with his straight legs and some of our boys who had just been discharged.  5-year old Malachi joined in pantless.  After a week on the ward wearing nothing under his hospital gown, we found out that Malachi's dad had left with his pants, leaving mom nothing but the football shirt (He now proudly sports a pair of small shorts).

After football, my friends and I left so the patients could have their dinner, while we lunched on the street on FanIce and peanuts.  We came back in time for a rocking worship session, and some time sharing and hearing testimonies of God's goodness.

Below: Anna and I both took care of Abe for over a month in 2010.  Now reunited two years later...I am in awe of the way that God works things out!  Praise the Lord for this amazing gift!

1 comment: