Friday, December 7, 2012

Interior screening: Lemon tree thorns

It crept up on me slowly, barefoot on the cool tile floor
Tiptoeing in the near-dark to where I stood
Lighting the gas stove with a match
To boil filtered water for coffee.

It whispered warm across my face
A breeze that bent the rice stalks
And blew fingers of fog through the vines
Hanging looped in the forest,
Waiting for Tarzan to swing through.



And then it hit
With a flip-flop smack that killed the bathroom spider,
Cold water splashes of dipper baths under the stars,
Splatters of mud from under a motorcycle tire.

I was comfortable.

Comfortable in an environment most would find a hardship
Rejoicing in a lifestyle mistakenly called primitive.

I can transport live chickens and run barefoot through the mud
Tie my backpack to the top of a land rover
and pee in the prickers without getting hurt.
I can chew the rocks out of street rice
Or perform a blood test in the middle of a busy market street.

I cherish my nights without electricity as a gift
A chance to see so many more stars
To meditate without the distractions of modern convenience.

The eclectic collections of skills I have so carefully collected
Filed away like scrapbooks on a living room shelf
Start to fit together
In a complex puzzle of belonging.

The idea niggles in the back of my mind
A lemon tree thorn caught and driven deep
Until I turn on the headlamp to dig and find
An epiphany hiding underneath.




4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! What a marvelous confluence of your gifts, training, adventurous heart and the work of God's Spirit in your soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Laura, love your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Thank you for sharing:) May the Lord continue to bless you and the work you do...........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius! This is one of my favorites :-)

    ReplyDelete