Friday, June 14, 2013

Extravagance

I love sailing.  The hectic pace of life slows into final reports and meetings and handover, a time to think over all that God has done the last few months, to mentally close a chapter in the adventure I call life and plot out the next - handwritten in ink and saltwater and sea breezes and stars.  It's a different challenge I face this time, because I'm not just closing the Guinea chapter and sailing on through West Africa.  This time I'm closing the Mercy Ships part of the story written in sweat and blood and tears and large amounts of drool, closing that to open something new, because I'm trusting God enough to let this go for now.  The extravagance of His grace and the touch of a mighty hand on my life mean a wild destiny I could never have dreamed up, a poem of life written especially for me.

I am surrounded by God's extravagance.  Every day the sea and sky are a different shade of blue, the foamy spray off the bow full of sparkles and rainbows and sunlight and exuberant dolphins racing and dancing alongside.  Every night the skies are shot through with color and the stars come to sing with us of God's goodness.

My small ship was passing through - here and gone again.  This beauty is here regardless of whether I witness it or not - a lavishly beautiful creation on display for the glory of the Creator...an extravagant art show I am blessed to be a part of!


 

 The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders; where morning dawns, where evening fades, you call forth songs of joy. 
~ Psalm 65:8

No comments:

Post a Comment