Thursday, November 5, 2009

Texas: friendly and warm, in more ways than one!

So about two weeks ago I finally arrived in Texas - tired, disoriented, and very, very warm. I had found out my official assignment state and hospital just over a week before, and was looking forward to unpacking my very full car.

My poor car-plant was excited to arrive in Texas too. It was looking droopy and rather wilted from the last few days of driving...and the last few months of living on the garment hook in my car. I crossed the AK-TX border around 2 am and thought it very...flat. I was also pretty excited to drive fast. I moved into my apartment that morning, and met a nice guy from the apartment below mine (who offered to help me carry my stuff!). I never thought of New Yorkers as impolite or unfriendly, but from day 1 Texans have definitely taken the prize for friendliness and chivalry.

I started work that Monday and was enthused to...sit in classes for two weeks! I got lost in the ED the second day after my tour, and just kind of wandered around thinking 67 beds is a HUGE ED...will I get lost every day that I work here? Then I found myself again. Although still a busy ED, Texas Health Harris HEB struck me as pretty laid back and genuinely cheerful.

Saturday I'll start working the floor...finally! This will be the day after the entire hospital switches to computerized charting. Fun fun! On a side note, I'm looking for a church with weeknight services...pray that I find an awesome one!

Pictures to come...plus stories from the last few months in New Hampshire and the North Country!

1 comment:

  1. You're in texas now?!?!? Congrats. I'm glad to hear you made it there safely. I miss you dearly!
    Sarah L.

    ReplyDelete