Monday, February 8, 2010

On the final approach!

Well, that's what they tell us, at least. This week has been a fun mix of nursing orientation classes, meeting people, and random wacky fun as we prepare for docking in a few days. Granted, a few times in the classes we slid off of our chairs, and some mealtimes it was important to hold onto your drinking cups so they didn't slide off of the table. After tuesday it settled down a bit, and we've had a relatively peaceful sail since then.
On friday I volunteered for a H1N1 vaccination clinic for the crew, courtesy of donated supplies and vaccine from the Spanish government. It's a great way to meet new friends (let me distract you from the needle I'm about to stick in your arm by asking you all about yourself and your time with Mercy Ships!). So now we're allll very vaccinated. Except for me. I decided God had provided me with plenty of inoculation naturally via the ED, so I refused the vaccine and promptly gave it to 50 of my friends. What a good friend I am!
They tell us we'll be arriving sometime Wednesday and then jumping in with both feet. I envision nurses springing up out of the woodwork, from every department, to scour the hospital and essentially set it up from scratch. Or, from the large, well-tied-down heap of bedding and supplies.
Please pray:
- logistically there are many things that throw a wrench in the works, from upcoming elections to screenings, paperwork and setup
- that God will open the eyes and hearts of the Togolese through our practical service
- and that he would heal! bodies and spirits and souls...
- for the health and hearts of the workers; those that are already here and those that are on the way
- calm seas for the next few days
- and safe elections over late February!

Pictures to come, once I collect them from scattered friends!

2 comments:

  1. Laura!! It feels like you are an ocean away! Hope you are having a blast! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give us some more updates... its been 8 days!

    ReplyDelete