Monday, February 1, 2010

Laura C at sea!

Friday night I felt very nautical. Several of the nurses have been reassigned to odd jobs until orientation and then, of course, opening the hospital. 10 of us (from 5 different countries!) were assigned to deep clean the galley. (pictures to come...I was too covered in grunge to get out my own camera). We had a blast. The head chef said he loves having nurses clean his galley because we know what clean REALLY means. :-)

Saturday night before we left, two other girls and I went ashore and to a small church service. Pretty much the only things I understood were Senor, and Amin, but it was very edifying nonetheless!



Yesterday we waved goodbye to the bluegreen hills of Tenerife and set off into the Atlantic. It was a gorgeous sunny day and we watched and talked as the Canaries faded into the distance. A trumpeter on the dock played hymns as we left; I hear he does this each time the Africa Mercy enters or leaves port in Tenerife.

I slung my hammock on deck and one of the other nurses and I climbed in...it took several tries to get it right and we were on the deck giggling with several other crew taking pictures of our struggles. Between the two of us we finally found a place high enough to sling the hammock that it didn't sag on the deck every time we climbed in. The seas were a bit calm initially, but have gotten rougher throughout the day today, with the ship alternately tipped 15-35 degrees to port, then starboard and back. This has made normal activity such as hospital orientation classes, walking, and eating all extremely entertaining, as everything from the plate to your chair or the deck will move violently without notice. The night has been fun as well, as I wake up with my feet high above my head and the bunk curtains opening and closing with the rocking of the ship.

Several of the crew are seasick despite medication, so please pray for them! Thankfully I have escaped it so far and have just been enjoying the ride. I pray this continues, as I have not been taking any kind of medication.

We have been sailing now for 33 hours...only 2200 or so more nautical miles to go!! And what a fun and wild ride it promises to be, with plenty of time for fellowship, contemplation and prayer! :-D

1 comment: