Sunday, September 25, 2011

Be still

In a world that defines identity by job title and accomplishments, it goes against the grain to take time to just sit and...be.

This weekend we drove out to Tyler State Park and took several hours just to spend alone with God - a date, if you will.  In previous similar retreats over the last few years I had found just sitting a challenge, and walked or wrote or sang as I prayed.  Apparently that wasn't what God had in mind this time.

After a short hike partway around the lake, I put up my portable hammock and settled in to marvel at the beauty of creation.  After months of almost-constant busyness, I had an exclusive invitation for the here and now - just to soak in the goodness and creativity and presence of God.  What a refreshing delight!

My job title and travels and adventures and struggles are not what defines me....my identity is secure as a child of the King.  God is pleased with a life lived out in faith, but He is also pleased with a people who delight themselves in Him and take time just to sit at His feet to watch and listen and marvel.



He says, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."  ~ Psalm 46:10

2 comments:

  1. Dear Laura,

    Scorpions?! Ahhhh!!!

    What is your email address? I would love to talk to you by email :)

    Love your lil sis,
    Lyss <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyss!! Miss you girl! Email me lauracoles@gmail.com...or just call me in the next few weeks! :-)

    ReplyDelete