Sunday, September 11, 2011

The beginning - an update on life!


After a whirlwind few months of weddings, classes, support raising, work, and packing up life….the journey has finally begun!  I’m in Texas now as I write this, planning to be here for about 5 weeks doing additional Mercy Ships training, and then fly to Sierra Leone.

Two months ago I sent an email asking for prayer and financial support.  I'm now 60% funded for the entire next two years – praise the Lord!!   Thank you to those who have committed to joining with me. If you have not already done so, please prayerfully consider joining me in this next adventure – by committing to prayer or financial support, or by coming with me!

As I have been wrapping up things and finishing my packing and goodbyes in New York, I headed down to Binghamton a few days ago and arrived just in time for the flood!  We were evacuated from my friend's apartment as the water began to come over the flood walls and up our street, and I was able to spend some time volunteering as a nurse at one of the local shelters.  In Broome County alone, at least 20,000 people have been temporarily displaced from their homes.  The Binghamton U events center is housing between 1600-1800 people, many with specific medical needs.  I joined the emergency responders at this shelter for several hours, treating any evacuees with injuries or illness, then I volunteered briefly in the makeshift "hospital" set up for evacuees with special needs.  I’ll be writing more about this as I have time to process, but praise God for safety and for good interactions with many people!

As you pray for our time in Texas preparing to serve, please also remember to pray for the people who have been significantly affected by flooding in Binghamton and across the Northeastern US...for spiritual awakening and revival as well as help for physical needs.

In His footsteps,
Laura

1 comment:

  1. Laura, i'm so excited to hear that you are returning! And this time for 2 years!! Yay :) it will be fun to follow your journey... this time, from the other side of the world. we are still wishing we were still there :) love and hugs, hannah

    ReplyDelete